1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you over feed chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by djwingo, Apr 17, 2007.

1. djwingo

djwingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    i have 5 chicks 1 is a layer hen another is a dyed easter chick and 3 are german spitzhaubners just got 2 today they are in a tub w/ a heat lamp inside they are abt 2 and 3 weeks old and eating a TON!!!!

just today they have went through 2 full feeders already its a small round on with holes in top ok let me rephrase that just since i brought the 2 newest home at 2 this afternoon AM I FEEDING THEM TOO MUCH??

2. chickiepooh

chickiepooh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Otsego, Minnesota
    I don't think you can feed them too much. They are growing! I know that you have to limit the feed on broilers because they grow so fast.

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Unless they are broilers, baby chicks (and adults) need access to feed 24/7.

4. BigR

BigR Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2007
    Lake County Fl.
    We keep fresh feed and water with ours around the clock.
    When they were a few days old I'd get up and check on them sometimes 2 or 3 o'clock am and they would be awake playing around eating etc...

If they eat too much they just take a nap and then do it all over again.

5. djwingo

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    good to know because in 10 hrs they have went through 3 bowls {well the feeder full} of feed omg lil piggys [​IMG]

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Are you sure they're actually eating it and not just billing it out of the feeders?

If they are eating it... I read this recently:
    A leghorn type chicken can eat 1/4 pound of feed per day.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  7. djwingo

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    hmmm now only if i knew what a leghorn type is lol i have a dyed easter chick nc was just told she was a layer hen and one from the assorted pullets group nc again and 3 germen spitzhaubners but almost all of the food is eaten not much spilled

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by