Can you overfeed chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TeaKettleK, Oct 19, 2009.

1. TeaKettleK

TeaKettleK In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    I've got 25 2-week-old (assorted sr brown egg-laying) chicks. Cute as all get-out and making me feel like a first-time-mama all over again... Went through the 5lbs of starter we got from the hatchery in about a week so I bought the 50lb bag of Purina medicated start-&-grow (?) and a week later the darn thing is much more than 1/2 gone. Am I over-feeding? Is that even possible? I don't mind feeding them as much as they want, if that's the right thing to do...

I read all the books... I thought I was ready! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Overfeeding is impossible with chicks. They eat a lot, they grow a lot. They don't eat to much. Yours are fine.

3. dsedler

dsedler Chirping

Mar 27, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I wouldn't worry about overfeeding chicks. I do wonder how much they might be wasting. Can you see any that has spilled into the bedding that they won't eat? I honestly can't remember how much food my 16 chicks went through. I feel that young chicks should have all the food they want to eat. Like the last poster said, they are growing fast and need the nutrition.

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Songster

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    My 22 2 1/2 week old RIR chicks have eaten about 30lbs of feed so far. I swear, it seems they eat more that the big ones.

Marty

5. TeaKettleK

TeaKettleK In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Ohio
    Thank you! [​IMG]

There really isn't much in the bedding, I think I toss out more when the feeders get shavings in them. They must just be little piggies! [​IMG] Lots of growing to do, it makes sense, they need unrestricted access to good food.

Look at my day-old-fluffies pictures, they HAVE grown a ton! At least I know where it's all going, right? [​IMG]

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Hybrid meat birds can sometimes need to be put on restricted feed, but not egg laying or dual purpose breeds. Give them all they want.

.....Alan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by