Can you please educate me about soy in feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mike592, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Mike592

Mike592 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    SW Ohio
    What specifically are some people worried about with soy in chicken feed? Is there something inherently bad in the plant itself? Or is it just because soy is usually one of the most heavily GMO-ed, pesticide crops?

I guess I'm asking, if I have a local feed producer that includes soy in his product, but the feed is certified organic (therefore non-GMO)... would that resolve all fears? Or is there something else I don't know about?

Thanks.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I suspect many of them read an article on the internet, and decided "Soy is Evil"
    (Much like GMO's and Monsanto)

Therefore, they won't be able to tell you WHY it's "bad"
    They just know it is
    [​IMG]

3. lisa760

lisa760 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    I think certain people think that soy is bad for them. Therefore, eating eggs from chicken that are fed soy is bad for them. Personally, I assume half the stuff I eat is bad for me, I assume the water I drink and the air I drink is bad for me. There's only so much you can control in life, I will likely die in a traffic accident, that will be bad too! [​IMG]

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I don't like it, because they use it in everything!!! That is for human food. We have no choice, it's by-products which use to be waste are now our healthy food! I don't like the phytoestrogen properties in it for myself. I pick & choose. I try personally not to eat it, but my chickens get it sometimes & sometimes not. My biggest beef with soy in chicken feed is that there is not much variety in many feeds, mostly corn & soy. To each his own & you do what is comfortable for you.

5. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Like I always say . Life is bad for you. It causes death.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I'd have to agree DRINKING air can't be good for you, although it won't cause weight gains

7. lisa760

lisa760 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    Hahaa, I always write something stupid when I write more than a few sentences and don't proof read! At least someone is reading what I write!!

With all of this said, I do grow fodder, that helps control more of what I feed my animals. I supplement with commercial feed. Of course, this assumes that the seed I get is decent, which may be a big assumption...

8. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Soy is one of the top seven food allergens and food intolerance's. The isoproteins from soy do show up in eggs and it takes about a ten day withdraw on a no soy diet for it be gone. Also, something like 92% of the US soy crop is GMO. That being said I am intolerant to soy, but having no problem with my eggs. My best friends son has a severe life threating reaction to soy.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: One out of 100 isn't so bad
    Over half of children with an allergic reaction to Soy will outgrow it

10. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    OP want to know about why people are trying to avoid soy, a lot of the GMO crops are causing higher incidents of
    intolerance's and allergy's than ever before. True, some children will out grow soy, my best friends son is over 90% that he won't, my hubby and me will always have a problem with soy. Then there are the farmers who are experiencing infertility in their livestock that is showing links to soy.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by