Can you please sex ID this duck? Pics and Video

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jwoo, Jul 10, 2011.

1. jwoo

jwoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    United States
    Well crap. So after going out today and watching this new duck I just got I think that my full grown hen may be a boy I bought this specifically because I was told it was a hen. When we went to pick it up the thing wouldn't make a noise but didn't seem to have any drake feathers, so I brought it home. I'm new to this voice sexing thing so I was wondering if you can help me out? I took a video and uploaded it here: Its a cayuga and I know they are pretty quiet - my other one doesn't seem to make any loud noises either but I think maybe to young still to voice sex. This one being four months old should be easier. . . I've listened to other duck sounds online and it seems I may have gotten the wrong sex . . . she had several hens and two males. Am I just really unlucky? I hope she'll take him back . . . I really don't need any more boys.

Sorry for the shaky cam - he/she would NOT stand still.

Today I also noticed it looks like it has drake feathers - and I swear they were no there yesterday!

PICS:

[​IMG]

Please help me ASAP! As I'm 90% sure this is a boy if it is I want to trade it out for one of the others before she sales them all.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Get over to that lady and trade him in quick. You're right that's a drake.

3. jwoo

jwoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    United States
    You saw the video too right? He sounds like a drake? I'm new to the voice sexing thing so I want to be sure I know what to look for in my other ducks!

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    yes i agree! it is a Cayuga no doubt and a male thats a rare bird there, i have one a male he is beautiful, I'm getting him a lady so they can have little Cayuga ducklings, Cayuga duckling are so cute and are kinda rare is east TN. so they go for alot to!

5. jwoo

jwoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    United States
    Quote:Well looks like I'm going to trade him in. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by