1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you please share your egg routine?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Oct 14, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I learned so much here when building my coop that we were able to put in a couple of features I never would have thought of until I needed them. So I want to know what your egg routine is. You go collect them and then...?? Pretend I'm a 3 year old. I want details. [​IMG]

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    First, I thank the girls for laying them. Then I bring them into the house and arrange them in the carton so each egg looks it best. Then I close the carton. Then I open it again and just stare at how beautiful they are. Sometimes I photograph them and share them on here or Facebook. Then I think how amazing it is that these little creatures who fit in a shoebox when I brought them home, have grown up to produce eggs that will sustain my family. Then, I think of all of the ways I will prepare them. My favorite is scrambled eggs. I don't refrigerate the eggs, and I only polish them with a damp towel right before I crack them. The shells usually go in the compost.

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Wake up, sit blearily on the couch watching Billy The Exterminator or Man Woman Wild. Hear egg song, rush to throw on pants and shoes and identify who laid what egg where. Look in usual places since all hens are now yelling the egg song. Find egg or give up on finding egg. If egg is found, hold it, giggle at how warm it is, take it inside and stick it in a carton unless it has poop on it. Poop eggs go in a bowl in the laundry room to be collected to be scrambled and fed back to the chickens. If egg is not found, assume it is the RIR that eats her eggs and is banned from the coop until I decide to eat her. Call her nasty name. Go back in house. Repeat when hens start yelling the egg song again later.

4. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    After collecting the eggs, figure out who laid which egg, then thank the ones who laid and tell them good job ([​IMG]), go in the house, take out the egg cartons, write the initial of the chicken that laid each egg, and put each egg along with the others from the certain one that laid. [​IMG]

5. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Quote:[​IMG]
    When you repeat it do you have to put your pants back on again ? Lol.

6. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    I go out and enter the run and hope none escape, then I walk carefully as they like to get under my feet, and so I don't slip in all the mud, check the new house first, sometimes I am lucky and find it on the floor, say thanks to no one in particular, then check the other house, its either on the floor or in one nest box, thank all 11 capable of laying for giving me two eggs and tell them to try harder tomorrow or ill get the stuffing out.

7. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Hear egg song, go open egg door. Be surprised by the fact that there it still a hen on a nest. Tell her to hurry up. Go back in house, read morning prayers, refill coffee, look out back door and count visible hens. If total = 4, go get eggs. Thank girls. Pet eggs because they are still warm. Put in carton in frig, front to back and right to left. If carton full, consult list of customers to see who is next to get a dozen. Text or email customer. Record eggs in journal, go back out with feed if necessary and check waterers, change water if needed. Turn over bedding, observing poop. Go back in house, pour another coffee and go get in shower.

8. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I get home from work and the first place I go is into the coop and check for eggs, I say thank you to the girls and let them out to forage then I take the eggs inside and with a pencil write the date on the eggs and then on the calendar write how many eggs for the day then put them in a carton in the fridge then I send a text to my sister and let her know how many eggs for the day. [​IMG]

9. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]
    When you repeat it do you have to put your pants back on again ? Lol.

[​IMG]

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Have morning coffee 2 cups scoop coop there is usually someone setting in at least 3 boxes, clean little coop, look to see who is still on boxes gather the eggs, praise the ladies.I also check poop hammock just to make sure there isn't a jelly egg, for the last 2 weeks since everyone is getting tuned up so to speak I have been finding 2-3 jelly eggs either in hammock or on the floor. Take eggs in put on counter check sizes right now they range anywhere from pullet size to large. We eat the pullet, I take the large one's in to work for some co-workers. I am up to 5 a day from 17 hens ( I sure will be glad when everyone gets their parts worked out.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by