can you post picture of your chicken hens with baby ducklings and tell

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thechickenguy, Jul 31, 2010.

1. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    how that hatch went or how you got them to hatch.

im getting some duck eggs from a friend this weekend and putting them under my chicken hen.......?
    please.thechickenguy.

2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I will tell yuo a story that one of my egg customers told me

when she was little, they had chickens and ducks. they acquired duck eggs from a friend, but didnt have a broody duck. however, one of their hens was experiencing a case of broodiness, so they stuck the eggs under her. she took them, sat on them till they hatched, and then took care of them like they were her own. they they finally made their way down to the little creek at the bottom of the property, and in go the ducks, happily swimming around. Chicken mama, however, started freaking out, running up and down the creek squawking, and then running up the the house pounding on the door with her beak, wanting someone to come save her babies from drowning. Mama was relieved when they finally got out of the river!

so, you probably can, just expect your momma to have a panic attack the first time they swim! lol

3. thechickenguy

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    Quote:lol. funny.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    How cute is that. I can picture it. From the behaviour of my hen towards my pullets .they aren't her chicks but she makes such a racket if she can't see them

5. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Here's my pics. It worked out great.

[​IMG]

My australorp hen let her ducklings totally abuse her. It was so cute. She was very protective of them.

[​IMG]

6. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:I bought 7 black cayuga duck eggs off of ebay. Six hatched and one was a dud. The mother hen treated them just like chicks. At the time, chicks were on sale at TSC, so I gave her a couple and she adopted them as well. They all grew up together. The one real learning experience for me was how incredibly fast ducklings grow compared to chicks. The ducklings reached adult size in no time at all. It was incredible.

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I had Peking ducks when I was a teen. Learned that the more you fed them the quicker they grew. I went back to the bird store a week later and my babies were 3 times the size of the one's left behind. The only rational reason was they were getting more food.

8. thechickenguy

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    good stories and amazing pictures. keep that stuff comming.

9. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:My birds don't get any food restrictions. They have a 24-7 buffet. All they can eat.

And wow, did those ducks ever eat. They can really put some food down.

10. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Here's some more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of one of my ducks at adulthood:

[​IMG]

Raised completely by my hen with no help from me. These last two pics are kinda fuzzy.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by