can you post your sex link pictures

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jadude, Sep 6, 2008.

1. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    if you have any sex link chickens can you post pics i am trying to get an idea of how mine will look

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    [​IMG]

this is one of my 3 black sex-link hens she was hatched on April 4 2008

3. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Here is my red sex-linked(sorry for the bad pic):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    This is my 6 yr old 'Red Star' hen Stumper, who was from McMurray hatchery. She's had a remarkable life so she looks a bit rough.

[​IMG]

When she was a pullet she suffered a severe broken leg. I nearly removed her foot as it turned green and the shank bone was protruding but she did not act sick. I splinted and wrapped it, kept watch and put her in a vacant stall with a mother hen with chicks. The leg healed and I picked bone fragments out for a long time but she still has that foot. She limps to this day as the ankle isn't very flexable.

When she was about a year old she was nearly killed by a pair of coyotes. How she escaped I do not know but she did. They came early one morning and all I saw was a pile of feathers. The rest of the birds were so terrified they would not come out of the long pasture grass. I had to bring them in one at a time. All the while thinking Stumper was eaten. I was not able to shoot the coyotes, there was too little daylight that early morning for my rifle scope.

The feather pile was penciled so I knew they were Stumper's, she has neato penciling.

Later I heard a noise on the back side of the barn behind the water trough. It was a terrified Stumper,the top of her back side completely ripped open, muscle exposed all over her back.

I slathered Nitrofurazone on her and put her back in that vacant stall.

She survived and can no longer hold her tail upright, she is smaller than most Red Stars. Stumper lays eggs faithfully except for late this summer when she decided she wanted to be a mother and went broody. I gave her 6 true Araucana eggs and at ten days I candled and four turned out to be fertile. She will hatch soon!

Stumper is (believe it or not) number 2 in the pecking order! I bet she will be an awesome mother.

Here she is in late spring sitting down.

[​IMG]

She is surrounded by some Jersey Giants and a cross bred hen. Besides being excellent layers, Red Stars are the quietest chickens I have ever had. The other remaining hen I have almost never makes a sound. They are not very aggressive either, rarely ever attacking other hens.

I liked these hens so much I have 50 day olds coming early next month for spring layers. Red Stars are also much less nervous than the other breeds I have kept.

----------
    Edit- I'll have to say coyotes are one of the ugliest predators out there but since the days of my beginning poultry keeping I have managed them well. Wear fur!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by