1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you posts pics of GLW and DC?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flocksalot, Nov 9, 2011.

1. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Hi,

I have some chickens that I'm not sure what they are. I thought they were GLW but they aren't fluffy like the SLW. They are also very meaty feeling and they always have a hugh crop. My son calls them blueberries as they remind him of the girl on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that swelled up like a blueberry. They are wonderful egg layers and one of them went broody at 7 months and is doing a wonderful job co-raising some chics with her sibling a Buff Minorca. Lucy Lu actually hatched every single one of her eggs, and is a very good mother. I would post pics if I could find my camera. Building a home, living in apt., possesions in boxes, camera takes the most awful unrecognizable pics. When I pick these girls up they are heavy and feel fully fleshed like a CornishX. I would much appreciate any pics you have of either to compare. I'm sorely temped to hatch some of the eggs that would be a cross between them and their Dominique roo as I think they would be a meaty bird. Whatever they are they are very sweet and love to be petted and played with. They are also excellent buggers and do an awesome job hunting for insects. Especially spiders which I am allergic too if biten. They have pea combs and glossy black with gold trim feathers. They also lay an egg a day that is tan and fair sized for their age. They keep up with the leghorns. What do your girls look like? Are mine the same?

Thanks, Ann

Edited to correct age of Lucy Lu. Apparently I can't count.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  3. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Quote:Thank you very much! The site if very helpful and the pics gave me exactly what I needed. I think we may have a winner. I'm actually thinking indian game hen. I would swear that's a picture of my Carmelita, Lucy Lu, Suzy Q, Miss Molly, Olivia, or Cha Cha. They sure are meaty little birds. Too bad my son is so attached to his girls or I would try one for dinner some time. Well really I'm a bit attached too, but if we saved some of their eggs for the next broody and got a cockrel cross I would get to try him for dinner. I'm thinking I might want to get me a good roo for breeding. Guess I will have to see if anyone around here has any. You know what that means. I have to build another coop! Oh the plans and designs. Thankfully I'm almost finished with my duck/goose coop so I can start planning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by