Can you potty train a chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fluffychickens6, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Fluffychickens6

Fluffychickens6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Can you potty train a chicken..? haha this sounds rlly weird but can u? XD I raise my chickens in a backyard with little dirt area (around like more than 10ftx9ft...?) my parents have complaining there is chicken poop everywhere and im planning on cleaning it today (there's not THAT much... they just think lyk 5 pieces is a lot... so ahahha) but I think it's easier if they are, so if u think u can plz tell me how or some tips! thank you!!!!

Also, I was wondering how I can train my chickens to trust me and come when their name is called, and if they can be trained to b my lap chickens :D I have two little pullets around 3 months old now. It's my first time raising chickens so I'm still learning. Thank you!!

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi,

I don't know if you can potty train a chicken but they can wear diapers. There's a thread here on BYC for people that have house chickens that wear them to prevent accidents. Here's a link if you are interested:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens/3090

As for gentling your birds, chickens seem to be ruled by their stomachs. Try sitting quietly and talking softly while having some feed in your palm or even just next to you. Make a point of spending time with them every day, learn their personalities and how they interact with each other. They'll get used to you faster if they know you are their provider of good things to eat and are around them enough for them to recognize you.

And about the poop...you don't want your parents to have any reason to complain about the birds, right? Cleaning up poo isn't the most fun thing to do but with the fun of having chickens comes poop & cleaning it up.

Nice to have you join us! If you have questions, just ask, we're all here to help each other.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    On training chickens to poop in one area, no, they are poop-anywhere animals, unlike llamas that will all go in the same pile in a single area. Try using a cat litter box scooper when picking up the poop. It'll go much easier.

Yes, you can train a chicken to come when you call their name. Use a popular treat, and each and every time you give the treat, repeat the chicken's name. You need to do it individually or your chickens won't know who you're directing the name to. But it does work for most chickens.

Whether or not they learn their names, they will always come to you if you show them the familiar container or repeat the same phrase every time you want them to come to you. After a while, they will respond to the command phrase even without the treat.

If you have a skittish or stand-offish chicken, it will require more time and patience. As a timid chicken gains more trust after learning to take a treat from your hand, try gently touching her as she eats, then work up to stroking her back while she takes the treat from you, and soon you will be able to pick her up without her being afraid. It all just takes time and patience.

4. Fluffychickens6

Fluffychickens6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Ahh I see tysm! ^_^ I'll try this out :D
    my girls sure do love mushrooms! XD

I guess I'll just have to clean it without leaving marks! :) tysm again! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by