Can you preorder a small number of chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aggiegirl75, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Aggiegirl75

Aggiegirl75 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    Newbie to the chicken world here, so pardon my ineptitude. :)

I want to order five or six chicks, but keep finding that the minimum order is 15 or so at the various sites, until April shipment dates. I am fine with waiting until April, but can't seem to figure out if I can preorder them now for April shipment, or if I just have to take my chances and wait until Spring and hope everyone is not sold out. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!!

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are only ordering a few chicks, chances are they will be able to fill your order come spring without a problem... Every hatchery tries to 'over hatch' so that they can fully fill their existing orders that week, that means if you have a small order they will likely be able to fill it with the 'extras' hatched that week... If not it should not take more then a few weeks for them to be able to fill your order...

May I also suggest that maybe you try getting together with someone in your area and order a bigger lot and split the cost?

3. ImNotYogi

ImNotYogi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2014
    Eastern NC
    I'd place an order as soon as you can. I placed my original order in November then switched hatcheries recently. A lot of the breeds I was looking into were already limited in females. If they weren't already out. Spring is most likely the busiest time for any hatchery. I'm ordering from Meyer now. They have a 3 chick minimum for the warmer months. I'm sure other hatcheries do as well though.

4. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    If you want certain breeds I would pre-orer now for sure because they do sell out. I have ordered from Meyer hatchery in Ohio and you can pre order from them and as time goes on you can add to the order or even change your selection; as long as the breed you want is still available. Also, if you preorder from them and they don't have a certain breed you want at the time you order but it becomes available later on, you can call and add it. They have fantastic customer service.
    Just an FYI... if you have come across My Pet Chicken they do small orders of chicks but they actually drop ship most of their chicks from Meyer so you can save a little $$ and order directly from Meyer... same exact chicks.

What breeds are you thinking of getting?? Keep in mind this is an incredibly addictive animal and 5-6 can turn into 8-10 in no time at all [​IMG]

5. Aggiegirl75

Aggiegirl75 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    Thank you all SO much!! I just preordered six chicks from Meyer, for late April shipment. That should give my dear husband time to build the coop and run :)

I ordered two each of Easter Egger, Buff Orpington, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. So excited!!

6. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
  7. Katbird01

Katbird01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Mississippi
    You'll love the buff's. We have 4 hens and a roo and they are the sweetest things. I have two EE's in the incubator now. I'm hoping they hatch out fine. It's my first time.

8. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    We have same issue, we want some specialty birds that won't meet minimum order...We just asked a few friends and other people we know that raise them and got the order to the minimum...Maybe you could do the same! Or buy up to minimum and plan to sell the difference...Craigslist can be your friend, we sell literally hundreds of chicks each year on there...Almost daily...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by