Can you prevent egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Desirai, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    So I know chickens are creatures that have been bred specifically to lay eggs.

Is there a way or a food to feed your hens that doesn't encourage egg laying?

2. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    I don't know, though I really doubt it. I'm really curious why you want to discourage laying. Care to share?

3. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I just have fears of egg binding :(

4. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Chickens (like other birds) are going to lay eggs. I am not aware of anything one can feed them to discourage egg laying. It is a process that has gone on for millenia, from the dinosaurs on down, and things like hens becoming egg bound, will just be something you as their caretaker, will have to handle. There is a wealth of information, wisdom and experience on these boards, and if you should have anything bad happen, I am sure you could manage quite well.

5. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Well, being egg-bound isn't rare, but neither is it a frequent problem. Hens often don't lay in the short-daylight hours of winter, so I suppose if you could replicate that, you might reduce egg laying, but I don't think that would be good for the health of the hen either.

6. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I lost a cockatiel to egg binding a few years ago and it broke my heart. :( that's what I'm most worried about

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by