Can you pull out a rooster's nail?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickensRule101, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ChickensRule101

ChickensRule101 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    Central Texas
    We have a rooster that is very aggressive, he hurts the hens and sometimes us. We decided to pull out his nails so he couldn't do any damage. Is it possible to pull out his nails? And if it is, what do we use and how? :) Please reply.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't answer you question, because I'd never, ever keep an aggressive rooster. Why would you keep this bird? Any bird that attacks people gets an automatic invitation to dinner around here.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickensRule101

ChickensRule101 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thank you, but I am not that kind of a person who looks at bloody things, we were thinking of giving it to our neighbor for dinner, if pulling out his nails is not possible, we'll give it to our neighbor. [​IMG]

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    x2. Not to mention that he hurts hens. Twice the reason to pair him with dumplings.

5. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    If he's too bad I would eat him... he sounds too bad to me. But if your are talking about removing his "spurs", that is possible. I have heard of different ways but I am sure you can find a lot of ways if you just do a search for something like "spur removal". Good luck.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It is possible, but I'm with the others. I would not keep this bird. If you can't eat him, let the neighbors enjoy a nice chicken dinner. Even if you do remove his spurs, he can still jump up and flog and peck a person. It would have a short life here.

7. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    One question that might help you decide... "Do I think more of this rooster than I do my (or a loved one's) eyeballs?" I know, very harsh but realistic.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Pulling the nails is going to be a bit bloody. I have heard that removing the spur is just a triffle bloody, but it will bleed a little bit, and if you are pulling the toe nails, that would be very bloody. I don't think this is a good idea. The spur is not a biggy, but the other ones would be very tough on a bird.

I echo the above, he should go.

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I guess you could have him declawed like cat owners have done to their cats, but that's a surgical procedure. Pulling his toenails out is cruel & animal abuse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by