Can you put different age chicks together?

cchardwick

Songster
12 Years
May 21, 2009
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone know what is acceptable in terms of putting together different age chicks? Can you put day old chicks in with week and a half old chicks? I have two incubators going and they are separated by about a week and a half but I don't want to have two separate brooders going.

I personally wouldn't put them together at least not right away. I would give the day olds at least a couple of days to build strength before combining. It also depends on breed too. If you have a mixed breeds and some are smaller than other (bantams & large fowl) then I would definitely not mix the little ones in with the bigger ones.

When I had this same question, I searched some of the other threads. I wasn't incubating, but was bringing in day olds from a hatchery. The consensus was that up to 3 weeks old (some said 4) there should be no problems. I followed this, and when I got the day olds, immediately put them in with 3 week olds. I had no problems, they just went in fine. They were all LF breeds. That's just my experience tho, not written in stone.

Two weeks later, I brought in more day olds (now the older ones were 5 weeks). I ended up having to separate the 5 week olds from the group, they picked on the little ones a lot.

Just sayin.

When I had this same question, I searched some of the other threads. I wasn't incubating, but was bringing in day olds from a hatchery. The consensus was that up to 3 weeks old (some said 4) there should be no problems. I followed this, and when I got the day olds, immediately put them in with 3 week olds. I had no problems, they just went in fine. They were all LF breeds. That's just my experience tho, not written in stone.

Two weeks later, I brought in more day olds (now the older ones were 5 weeks). I ended up having to separate the 5 week olds from the group, they picked on the little ones a lot.

Just sayin.
Thanks for the info, this helps a lot!

Back
Top Bottom