Can you put different eggs in the bator at different times?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iheartchkns, May 13, 2010.

1. iheartchkns

iheartchkns Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    I have hens that lay eggs and I've thought about collecting the eggs to put in an incubator, since they won't sit on them. If I put 4 eggs in the bator, for instance, then 2 or 3 days later put 4 more eggs in, is this okay? I know the eggs need 21 days to develop, so just wondering how to do small quantities at a time.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The conditions in the incubator needs to change in the last three days of incubation. You quit turning the eggs, raise the humidity, and do not open the incubator until the hatch is over. It really complicates it if you have some eggs in lockdown in the same incubator as eggs that are still incubating.

The best way to do what you are proposing is to have two incubators. Use one to incubate the eggs, starting a new batch no closer than 7 days from the previous. Use the second incubator as a hatcher.

You do need to have a plan for how you will handle the different aged chicks when youa re brooding them.

Good luck!!!

3. PaintedDreams

PaintedDreams Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Southern TN
    Well being new to hatching chickens, I put eggs in the incubator over a period of 4 days. It was a disaster! We had an automatic turner and things went beautifully in the beginning. We candled the eggs and watched with eggcitment as our embryos developed. Then it was time to stop turning the first batch, then the second and so on. When I finally took the turner out and placed the eggs on the screen bottom, I think I moved them around too much and opened the incubator too many times. None of the eggs (21) hatched. Curious about what went wrong I broke open an egg to find a fully developed, but dead chick. It was heartbreaking. So on our next hatch we only put eggs from 2 consecutive days in the incubator and I stopped turning them on the morning of the 18th day from the 2nd group (I put the eggs in in the evening so I stopped the turning the morning between the 2 evenings the eggs were set.) Then I didn't open the lid until day 23 when I removed 8 tiny, peeping chicks (we started with 10 eggs). So our second time around was much better. Good luck! Hope you get a good hatch.

4. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I hand turn my eggs and I only have one incubator. I have staggered hatching eggs before without a problem and actually have a staggered batch in right now.

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We stagger hatch all the time and never have problems. Our eggs go from the bator to a hatcher and the chicks are pulled out as they hatch and put into a brooder to completely dry. We are into ours all the time. But then this is Florida where it is also humid all the time and we dry incubate.

6. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    iheartchkns

I have hens that lay eggs and I've thought about collecting the eggs to put in an incubator, since they won't sit on them. If I put 4 eggs in the bator, for instance, then 2 or 3 days later put 4 more eggs in, is this okay? I know the eggs need 21 days to develop, so just wondering how to do small quantities at a time.

well i you only have one bator I would collect the eggs over a week peirod then plac all the eggs in the baton at the same time /same day and this way 21 days later you should have chicks

if not you should have 2 bators one for turning for 18 days and the other for hatching the last 3 days , mark your eggs and on the 18 day place them in the 2nd bator for lock down

good luck​

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:well i you only have one bator I would collect the eggs over a week peirod then plac all the eggs in the baton at the same time /same day and this way 21 days later you should have chicks

if not you should have 2 bators one for turning for 18 days and the other for hatching the last 3 days , mark your eggs and on the 18 day place them in the 2nd bator for lock down

good luck

x2

8. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You've received good advice, so far. I have 2 incubators--one for incubating and one for hatching and that has worked well for me so far. If you only have one incubator then just collect the eggs over a period of a week and start them all at the same time. I just collect them in an egg carton that I keep in my bedroom until I put them all in the incubator. Good luck on your hatch!!

9. iheartchkns

iheartchkns Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2009
    Thank you all for great advice. Now, if I collect a week's worth of eggs and put them in the bator all at once, how do I store the collected eggs before I put them in the bator? We have a dirt basement that stays cool, but not as cool as a refrigerator. Would that be a good place? Does the storage temp need to be a certain amount? Thanks!

10. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    I, too, have had a staggered batch - with setting chicken eggs and duck eggs on the same day, though. So day 21 and chicks hatched (only used 1 incubator) and day 28 ducks hatched. I don't use a turner I hand turned until day 18; I let the chicks do the duck egg turning as they hatched. I keep my LG incubator in the basement bathroom where I can easily start the shower (and the bathroom has it's own electric heat thermometer so the temp in the room is always at 70 [don't ask about the electric bill!]) if/when I need to open the incubator for any reason.

I also have collected eggs over a period of two weeks and still had chicks/ducklings hatch. I keep mine pointed side down in egg cartons right on my kitchen counter away from heat/light, but have also kept them in the basement where it's cooler.

Someone I bought eggs from kept them in plastic bags outside - the chicks developed until lockdown, then all but 1 died during hatching and I have no clue why (not part of a staggered batch, either).

My reasoning for everything is that nature has its own agenda and if we're not meant to have more chicks then so be it.

Last edited: May 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by