Can you put doves and cockatiels together?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by poultryhaven, Oct 8, 2009.

1. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I was worried about the doves getting picked on by the cockatiels. The cage measures about 3 foot tall by 2 foot wide and 2 1/2 feet deep.

2. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I have seen it done, but wouldn't recommend it. Cockatiels have hooked beaks that can hurt a dove easily.

3. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Ok jw cause i got offered a couple pairs but was worried about all of them together. I would have 4 cockatiels, 1 Parakeet and some doves together. What about in a big aviary?

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    At my work (i work at a zoo) We have cockatiels,conures,african grays ,parakeets,diomand doves and ring neck doves all together but there ae in a good sized aviary .

In a cage your size it would be to small for all of them but if you could get a good sized aviary together that would work

In that sized cage with all the birds there water would get yucky fast and they would poop all over eachother

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    That is too small of a cage. And overcrowding can cause all kinds of problems.

6. markbirds

markbirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Hello, I breed my cockatiels and doves together and have been doing this for years. I have never had a bit of trouble with having them all together like this. I have also bred my finches in with my cockatiels as well.

7. markbirds

markbirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    I was just looking at the size of the cage..... I is just right for one pair of breeding cockatiels. I did not catch the size of cage and had assumed that you had a large aviary. NO i would not put any more then just one pair of cockatiels in that size cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by