Can you put eggs in incubator at different times?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bragabit, Aug 10, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I incubator has some eggs in it, but has plenty of room for more eggs. Of course browsing through the auctions I have fallen in love with some pricey silkie eggs. But if I get them I would have to put them in the bator as all my broody hens are full. Soooo is it best to wait out until this batch hatches and then hope to get some more eggs from the seller. Or can you add eggs to the bator with a different hatch rate?

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    You can go ahead and put them in the incubator with the others. Just be SURE to right down the date differances. For example you can draw a star or somthing on the new eggs (With a PENCIL) to tell them appart.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    I agree with Becca. I have run staggered batches which have turned out just as good as the rest. Like she said, just make sure you know which eggs are which. Good luck with your silkies.

4. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    So good to know. I was trying to entice my 5th hen of this season to go broody and she isn't taking yet. So far this season I've had unlimited broody's but all my chicken friends have swapped out my broody hens. So I got an incubator but I am so new to using it I am still learning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by