can you put hydrogen peroxide on a chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marcus connor, Dec 7, 2014.

1. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    i walked in and saw my rooster was bleeding from his comb,and he had cut his comb on the chicken wire.And i wanted it not to get infected,so can i put Hydrogen Peroxide and Neosporin on his comb thanks

2. Feathyr

Feathyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Yes, peroxide is safe to use on chickens. However, you should only apply the plain variety of Neosporin to chicken injuries. I forgot why, but it has to do with the medicine ingredients.

Edited to add:
    It's because of the painkillers. You can't administer painkillers ending in 'caine', such as benzocaine. As an alternative I use a triple antibiotic with a painkiller that is paroxicam or something along those lines.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    ok

4. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    will it hurt him if i used medic tape a bandage to cover it up

5. Feathyr

Feathyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    It wouldn't hurt him, but since the cut sounds pretty minor I wouldn't bother. If the wound is still bleeding, pour a bit of flour (being careful to avoid his eyes, ears, and nostrils) to stop the flow.

6. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    i looked closer and it's on his head what other things can i do for him.i removed him from the flock

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Unless it's a massive cut that won't stop bleeding you probably don't need to anything further then what's already been suggested by Feathyr. Clean it, put Neosporin on it and let it heal. You can also use Blu Kote instead of Neosporin, this will help hide the wound so other chickens won't be attracted to it.

8. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    ok

9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I used to think that was valid information until I noticed the Kwik-Stop gel, labeled for use on birds, has Benzocaine in it. I would still avoid using this product anywhere around the face. I like the powder better for cutting nails/spurs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by