1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Can you put powdered lime in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NJfarmer, Sep 15, 2007.

1. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    Is it safe for chickens if I mixed some lime with the dirt floor of the coop. I read from the BYC ezboard that it gets rid of the smell. I am having a hard time finding DE in my area so I would like to try powdered lime right now until I can find some DE

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Should be okay. I suggest you rake it in by stirring up the surface, sprinkling the lime and smoothin things out again with the rake.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, yes there are two kinds of lime sold. One is powdered and one is granular. The granular one is safe for animals, has no dust, and won't burn their feet. Karen

4. NJfarmer

NJfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    New Jersey and Maine
    I have to check to see if I have powder or granular, so is powdered bad??? and granular is good?

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:The white powdered kind is a caustic chemical; hydrated lime, slaked lime, quicklime, etc. The kind you want is usually referred to as ag lime or garden lime and is used to raise the pH of soil. As others have said, it is just crushed limestone.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007
  6. KellBell

KellBell New Egg

Sep 13, 2007
    Have you tried a pool or spa place alot of the pool supply stores have DH

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I find just turning over the soil helps keep down the smell.

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Me too, I have a little Troy Bilt tiller that I turn the run with every now and again. It's fairly arid where I live though, so I don't really don't have much of a problems with odors anyway, everything stays pretty dry.

9. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Gee I wish I thought of that, I have one in my shed, we've been using a shovel. Thanks for mentioning that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by