Can you put seramas with a stander flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Nov 3, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    I have 10 standerd chickens could i put 6 seramas (3 roosters and 3 hens) together with the standerd chickens? Or/and could i put a golden laced BANTAM cochin flock of three (1 rooster 2 hens) with them all seramas/stander/bantam cochins in the same flock is that even possibable?Could i just put them all togethor with each other that would equal (5 roosters) and (14 hens) that probalby would not work would it?Could i put the bantam cochins with the seramas?Thanks for all your help i bet all the questions are a big fat NO........

2. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    if you mean, will there be carnage if you put them all together, in the end, probably, that many roosters to hen ratio, they will get battered!

If you mean, can you have that many different breeds and sizes together, have at it! I have a belgian d'uccle in with RIR, Barred rocks and some mut mix sold to me as an EE, the bantam is the boss of them all but the RIR's.

I would think 1 rooster to 14 hens is a great ratio, you might be able to swing 2 roosters to the 14 hens, if one of the roosters sees itself as a junior and can respect the senior rooster and his hen "needs"!

Other than that, its too many roosters if you have limited space. If space is no issue, let them free range and mulitply

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I have a Serama that I can't even put in with a Serama flock! It all depends on the individual birds. Introducing a group to a group should work better than introducing an individual to a group. Maybe you could put a couple of the more demure biggies in with the littles to have them make friends. Then they'd already have buddies when you introduce them to the gang. I have Seramas mingling with Silkies, Cochins, and at one time, Leghorns!

4. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    space is not that big of an issue but would the seramas and the cochins/bantam and stander chickens would they live togethor with the right amount of room and feed?

5. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    rooster brandon. :

space is not that big of an issue but would the seramas and the cochins/bantam and stander chickens would they live togethor with the right amount of room and feed?

plenty of space and i do free range........​

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Free ranging means far fewer (if any) problems. A friend of ours free ranges his mixed flock in a quite small back yard. The only real problem he's had is when tiny juvenile Serama cockerels try to "get fresh" with the big hens and get their little butts seriously kicked by the hens. He's had to pen up the litle boys for their own safety!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by