Can you put Silkies and rode iland reds in the same coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 1 silkie 2, Feb 10, 2012.

1. 1 silkie 2

1 silkie 2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Can you put a silkie and a rode iland red in the same coop thanks

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

Sure. I think your saying also bantams and full size birds.? The answer is yes. If you buy them when both are new eggs is the best or you buy them within the first 30 days and as they grow up they have midget brothers or sisters sure. The trick comes when you have had a flock and the pecking is already in place and you add new girls big or small you must do it with tact. Separate them by a separate screen and feed them across the chicken wire and have food on 1 side and then have food right opposite bc that is the most competitive and stress environment for any new bird big or small. It takes then some refereeing and some practice.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

RIRs are known to be a more assertive (and in some cases aggressive) breed. I wouldn't do it myself, which is not to say it for sure wouldn't work... As was mentioned, your best bet in making it work is if they're raised together from chicks. Or if you have your silkies first and they're the mature birds, and then you add a few young RIRs maybe. But if you have RIRs first, and then try to add silkies, I'd proceed with a LOT of caution...

4. 1 silkie 2

1 silkie 2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Ok thanks i think ill build a coop for the silkie chicks thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by