Can you put turkeys and chicken together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mozee68, Jun 10, 2008.

1. mozee68

mozee68 New Egg

Jun 10, 2008
    Norhern NJ
    I have 2 roosters and 2 hens, they live in a pen in my barn (because my husband hit the coop with the tractor) I put them in the pen til the coop could be repaired and they seem much happier in the barn and it it much easier to care for them in there and have the run of my property. My son needs to bring home and raise 6 turkeys for a ffa project. I have another pen about 6 feet away from my chickens. A few people told me that they can not be near each other, they didn't know why just that they didn't think you could. I really don't want to move the chickens like I said they seem to enjoy the pen also my barn cat has been sleeping in the pen with them and I feel like they are a little more protected when she is with them at night. So does anybody know if this is fact or fiction:rolleyes:

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    there is a man near us with at least one turkey near his chickens, rooster, goats and peacocks. the pen's are all connected.

depends on who you probably talk to, we were told by a man if he had to do it over again he would not put his peacock in with chickens. well ours wanted to fly in the chicken yard and he sleeps on top of the coop, doesn't really seem to be any real problems. they have been together for almost a year.

don't know if this helps [​IMG]

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have a 4 week old turkey in with my 10 week old EE's and he is fine. He is almost bigger than them.

4. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I have 3 turkey poults in with my 6 week old pheasants they been together almost from the being no problems and the parents of the turkeys are running lose with the chickens all is well until feeding time then the turkeys become the boss

5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Have read in several places that turkeys shouldn't be raised even on the same farm as chickens due to a parasite or disease called blackhead. Apparently, the chickens can carry this thng without really being affected by it but it is fatal for turkeys. Any truth to this or any one know anything about this. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have several chicks and just purchased 2 turkeys. I would like to know about this for sure myself

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Call your local extension agent or ag person and see if blackhead is an issue where you live. I talked with a poultry vet at Oregon State U and they said I don't have to worry about black head where I live. My turkeys share the same ground with the chickens and have not had aproblem. However, if black head becomes or is a problem in your area, you do need to take precaution.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Mine are separate because I don't want to take any chances. That's just me.

8. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    In my research pre-chicken, I read about blackhead too.. Funny, I thought it was Ducks that couldn't be by the chickens b/c of blackhead...

9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:we have ducks and chickens and i know alot of people with ducks and chickens together, so what is right, ask a vet i guess?

10. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    my chickens and ducks are happy together. it's now that I wish I hadn't put my pheasants w/my chickens but that's just b/c i can't let my chickens free range for fear the pheasants will get out... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by