can you quiet a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilverLacedLady, Nov 23, 2010.

1. SilverLacedLady

SilverLacedLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Malinta, Ohio
    my roosters are going to be the end of themselves if I can't find a way to quiet them down. There is a so called neighborhood watch in my area that one man has decided is his job. He harasses people, trespasses on private property taking pictures, and then files complaints against people who are doing nothing wrong. I live in a neighborhood that since the economy went to crap is primarily rentals. this jerk owns the house across the street from me. I am leagally allowed to have chickens, even roosters. But now I am being told that my rosters äre "disturbing the peace and quiet of the neighborhood" If i can't quiet them down I will have to find them new homes. Any ideas? My son Nathan lost one of his 2 chickens over the summer because she decided to escape from the run and go meet the dog. His other chicken is a rooster named Manny. I can't stand the break his heart by telling him he has to give him up. I need to quiet them down, and if it doesn't work I need someone to take my 3 SLW roos. Just don't eat them, we love them very much.

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    They are usually quieter when there is just one. I would pick the one I wanted the most and try to keep him as the only roo.

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Sorry, roosters crow. There is just no way of stopping it. [​IMG]

4. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado

except by making chicken stew.. [​IMG]

but really, that neighbor is not allowed to trespass onto private property (much less take pictures while on said property)..i'd put a stop to that real quick

just start beating him at his own game. call the cops on his *&% the next time he comes on your property. if he does it repeatedly get a restraining order on that loser

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  5. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010

except by making chicken stew.. [​IMG]

but really, that neighbor is not allowed to trespass onto private property (much less take pictures while on said property)..i'd put a stop to that real quick

just start beating him at his own game. call the cops on his *&% the next time he comes on your property. if he does it repeatedly get a restraining order on that loser

i agree, get the neighbours together and formally complain about him also ask around find out just how many people think your roos are a problem if they dont get a petition together to show mr nosy pants to take a hike
    good luck really hope you can keep your sons roo i know how attached kids get to their pets [​IMG]

6. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have waay too many roos coming of age this month(about 24. I guess we'll be having fried chicken soon)
    Here's how I quiet the flock rooster and his 3 foster boys who decided to start crowing this week:

Every night after the chickens go to sleep, I stuff the noisy roos into a pet carrier and lug them into the garage. I put the 3 biggest ones into a huge rubbermaid tote (about 2'x3') that is lined with hay or shavings on the bottom (depending on what I have) and topped with a child safety gate for a lid and the smallest roo stays in the pet carrier on top of the gate to hold it down.
    If they grumble too much, I toss a blanket over them when I turn off the light.

At 4 in the morning, they can crow their little heads off and no one hears them but us- if we're in the kitchen.
    Later in the morning (after 7 am anyway) the "bad boys" are returned to the yard when I let the rest of the flock out to free range for the day.

OK, so this doesn't quiet them down. But it does keep the peace with our neighbors when they don't have to hear .
    cock's crow at 4 AM.

And since we live n a small town near the interistate, anything sets them off - anything.

7. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    One of my freinds had started chasing her little grandkids (and also did a lot of crowing). She pulled out all of his tail feathers and now she says he walks around makin a little cherp now an then and he also stopped chasing the kids. I dont know if it will help you any or not but you never know. Guess he doesnt have anything to crow about cuz of his bare rump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by