1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you raise babie guineas w/babie chicks?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by CatCobb1983, Sep 13, 2008.

1. CatCobb1983

CatCobb1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Gates,TN
    I wanted to now if you can raise them together.I just had 4 hatch and need to now..

Thanks,
    Cat [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I do not like mixing fowl. I brood mine separate for a few reasons.

Guineas:

- Fly sooner

- Move faster

- (for me) are far more fragile than chicks

- poops are stinkier

- are wilder and are better left as wild things

- need higher protein gamebird feed.

- don't thrive as well (for me) without a good source of animal/bug/worm protein

3. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    This is my first time with guineas, had 5 guineas hatch and 3 Ameracuana chicks so I put them together, I am on day two and have separated them, the guineas are much faster to develop and go after anything that moves, including chick toes [​IMG]

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i brood them separate,,but in 2 weeks their all outside together and do fine. i can see the problems comming when their in a small space ( brooder) but once i put them out, i have never had a problem with them being together.
    freakin guineas!! hehe [​IMG]

5. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Tennessee
    I kept mine together from the day I got them. Just make sure you have enough space for them. They like to run and slide on their tummies. It was like bowling except the chicks were the pins and the guineas were the balls.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I raise mine together, but then again I have 4 guineas, a duck and a turkey that were all together since day one. I also let my broodies hatch then raise keets, never a problem.

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've got my almost 3 week old guineas in the barn with my almost 7 week old chickens. Never had an issue. Matter of fact, the guineas keep up with the chicks awesomely and I have a few 'motherly' type hens that squat over them to keep them warm. My future broody mamas [​IMG]

8. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I keep mine separate. I keep my guineas on a higher protein feed. They don't go together until they reach the coop after 6 weeks.

9. CatCobb1983

CatCobb1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Gates,TN
    Thanks for the in put ya'll.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by