Can you raise bantam chicks with large fowl chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cupman, Apr 3, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The feed store gets shipments of chickens every Wednesday. I was thinking of adding some more to my flock tomorrow. I would like to get about 6 or 7 chicks which include large fowl and bantam. Should I keep them separated? If so, which age is it safe to introduce the large fowl and bantams to each other?

Thanks.

2. clucknpeck

clucknpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    I got all my chicks on the same day and for being one of the first customers they gave me five free chicks, which included one tiny bantam. I put it in with the others and it has done great. A couple times my standard chicks actually got picked on so I had to put them in a separate brooder to heal and I put the bantam in with them to keep them company. Because the bantam is little I didn't worry about it picking on the injured. All my chicks love the bantam and I love having it because it makes the perfect buddy when one has to be quarantined.

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Anyone else have any experiences with this? I am thinking next week I will get the birds but was hoping for a little more feedback first.

4. chickee35

chickee35 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2007
    Eagle, NE
    I have standard and bantys (always have). Never had had a problem. Even the standard roosters leave my banty hens alone which is a good thing..;). I love bantys they are the sweetest little birds...and they make great mothers.

5. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    We have a banty that just jatched out 5 eggs and only 2 were hers. The other three were standard BR, and EE. Whent they hatched, we also gave her 2 standard size blue cochins. They are all doing great together. I will admit that I was a tad worried about the 2 little ones, but they are fiesty and fit right in. They are 11 days now.

6. BlueEggs4Life

BlueEggs4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    West Michigan
    I've also raised bantams with reg size chicks - no issues. In fact, now that they are all grown up I'd have to say the bantams rule the hen house :)

7. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    I'm brooding a mix of 22 birds with 8 of them being bantams right now. Two of the bantams are the dominant birds in the brooder, no the golden comet pullets which are two weeks older than the banties. You'll be fine. Just keep an eye out for picking and you'll be good to go.

8. Zach123

Zach123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    bantam and standard can be brooded together just fine. I have done it on several different occasions and it worked out without any harm done to the bantam chicks. I currently have standard cochin and a silkie chick brooding together and they are the best of friends. they are in the same box, though sperated by rabbit wire, as my 5 week old LF brahmas (the cochin and silkie are only 1 week) and when I let them have some supervised time together even the older birds are pretty well behaved with them. Theres A LOT of different factors that go into who will get picked on (and somone almost always will), but from my expierience, bantams mixed with standard chicks is a-okay!

9. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    I ordered 2 standards and 5 bantys, so I was wondering the same thing. Is it true that the bantams sometimes pick ont the large fowl?

10. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY

Yep, they're little spitfires sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by