Can you raise bantams in your home, any one do this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Churkenduse, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I would love to raise bantams as pets, and also for eggs.
    I have friends that have them and they die in the cold of winter and I wanted to know it any of you keep them in the house. If so is it hard, messy, noisy, cruel?

Thank you [​IMG]

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    i dont, but people do it all the time [​IMG]

3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I had a standard in the house...and am thinking of taming this beast of a bantam that is pecking at my leg right now to be in the house.
    House chickens are awesome.

4. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I have 6 in dog crates in my back mudroom. You need to change the bedding weekly & I scoop the poop daily. You really need a seperate room or the dust will cover everything.

5. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i have some bantams in my house in quarantine right now. i don't know if i would do it with standards but for a small flock of bantams . . . maybe.
    you would want to make sure they get time out to free range i think. can you build them a little area outside so they can play a few hours in the sun each day?
    there is going to be noise if you have a roo, but the hens wouldn't be too noisy i don't think. how many chickens were you thinking of keeping?

6. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    I would think 2-3 so they have company.

That is agod idea about the run outside I will think about it.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have some in the house in cages about 2ft by 3ft because they fight with the other roosters, but I rotate them around so they all get to be outside sometimes.

In the summer they free range and I have some seperate pens. They do pretty good.

Some breeds just dont like to be confined though. Like modern game and old english game even though they are some of the smallest bantams.

Right now I have a cochin roo in the house, a pair of japanese, and 3 modern games that are 9 weeks old. The cochin gets to walk around the house at night though cause hes all alone so he comes in the living room with us.

I made him pants but he doesnt like to wear them(must go back to the drawing board)

8. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I'm brooding 2 banty chicks with my quail in my living room right now. The quail have been in here since winter started. As long as you change the bedding your house won't smell. I have my in wire cages with very small wire and newspaper underneth.

9. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    I think I am having a change of heart. I guess it might not be so natural for them to live inside, cruel even. It was just a thought. Thanks for all of your input.
    I do have 5 living outsids now, that is enough for me since I live alone.

[​IMG]

10. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I plan on raising mine as house pets, I have a hudog cage I have divided in half for two breeds, so I can sell pure eggs, and still have the excitment as pets. I keep it in my mudroom with all the incubators and such also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by