Can you raise chicks and......

lnm03

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 6, 2008
turkeys together??? I have been thinking about getting a few turkeys but I didnt know if they needed special living arrangements....I have noticed several pics with chickens and turkeys but all have been outside from what I have noticed so I didnt know if you could keep them together or if that was a no no.
wink.png

Quote:
LOL we were just discussing that on another thread.Managing your flock I think.I'm planning on trying that this spring.
I think you can,but they need different feed as chicks.You can check on the other poultry thread also.Steve Sands is very knowledgable about turkeys .

Not a wise idea... According to Murray McMurray Hatcheries and i quote "Blackhead is a single celled organism (histomonas meleagridis), and has the potential to damage the liver of turkeys and gamebirds. The cecal worms, a common parasite found in chickens, acts as an intermediate host for the blackhead organism. Raising chickens away from turkeys and gamebirds is a good preventative measure in controlling blackehead" page 43 of the 2009 murray mcmurray hatchery catalogue.... stinks doesn't it ia had thought about oing the same thing

MayorB.85 :

Not a wise idea... According to Murray McMurray Hatcheries and i quote "Blackhead is a single celled organism (histomonas meleagridis), and has the potential to damage the liver of turkeys and gamebirds. The cecal worms, a common parasite found in chickens, acts as an intermediate host for the blackhead organism. Raising chickens away from turkeys and gamebirds is a good preventative measure in controlling blackehead" page 43 of the 2009 murray mcmurray hatchery catalogue.... stinks doesn't it ia had thought about oing the same thing

Bummer!!! Thanks for the info!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom