Can you raise Meat Chickens/Turkeys in Winter?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CoopCrazy, Dec 2, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I just found out that I will be moving back in with my folks... Bummer on sooo many levels.. But tons of positives.. Mainly I can raise whatever I want for food, eggs, fun etc... I want to try to get some meat birds going now rather than wait til spring.. I am planning on doing a pvc tractor 3 feet tall 10 x10 .... I really want to raise meat chickens but have heard they dont do well in the winter.. But what about turkeys? Are freedom rangers any better or worse then Cornish X in the cold? Would I have to get a Heritage breed turkey or could I use a BB White ? Sorry for all the questions its just that I will have 3 acres to do what I want with plus a huge 32x60 garage to build in... I really want to start what i can now..

2. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Adult turkeys are weather-hardy birds, but it takes a long time for them to get to that point. 8 weeks in warm weather. I imagine it would take forever to get them there in the winter. I have a few poults that are in my garage brooder who will remain there for quite some time before I let them out.

I would recommend just waiting until early spring to start with turkeys.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd wait until spring- depending on where you're living, think about moving that tractor around in the snow. Plus they just do better when it's a little warmer.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yeah i think that I will have to ... But maybe I get the rabbits going now and maybe some quail in the garage.. Thanks for the help

5. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I have a few broilers now, they are a week old. Once they are out of the brooder, I'll keep em in a 15 x 15 chicken house, with access to the out side run. I've personally never had a problem raising birds in winter, but I do live in Tx and out winters aren't that bad. Turkey's would be hard to come by this time of year though.

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Well its only December but I haven't had any issues raising meatbirds here in New England thus far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by