Can you raise pheasant chicks with chicken chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terwelpbantams, Feb 11, 2011.

1. terwelpbantams

terwelpbantams Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2010
    Payson
    I just had one of my ring necked pheasants hatch out today and i put it in with my chicks that hatched today also. Is this ok or do i need to seperate it?

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm gonna guess no. I have been reading a lot of the quail forum and they are basically game birds, same as pheasants. Quail can pick up lots of diseases from chickens. I'm gonna guess pheasants would be the same. Hopefully someone else can add some wisdom for you.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I find the biggest issue to be the heavy pecking that pheasants tend to do. They are not as timid as chicken chicks, so I would not raise them together. Pheasants will torture chickens and have a much larger space requirement to grow out.

Being that you have only one, you may have to try it to see what happens. The one pheasant may do ok and need them for comfort.

4. terwelpbantams

terwelpbantams Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2010
    Payson
    they worked out fine, i had to separate them from my chickens at 4 months to move to a pheasant pen. But currently i have a pheasant rooster with my some of my show birds, because i plan to show him. He has tamed down really well, i can walk over and pick him up, he only hisses a little.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Interesting... when I was a kid, everytime we put pheasant chicks with chicken chicks, the pheasant chicks died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by