1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you raise pheasants like poultry?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by 3riverschick, Aug 28, 2016.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Have been reading a little on this forum. Is it possible there is a pretty Pheasant breed which can be
    bred in flocks like poultry without males killing the females or other males?
    Thanks,
    Karen

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Unless your pen is huge the males will kill each other when breeding starts.I mean huge as in 100 x100.A male can breed up to 6 or 7 hens, or a pen that size maybe 4 males to 30 hens should work.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Absolutely right, Tony. I tried to post a similar reply earlyer today but the site was down for maintenance. About the only thing different, was I said, pheasants are known by species and not breeds. Wasn't trying to be condescending, either! Alot of first time pheasant enthusiast assume their breeds, like chickens but their not, they are species and subspecies.
    I had a communal pen in the early 80's. It worked out ok, I had Yellow Goldens in the pen but I thought, why not divide the same space (mine was 50' x 50') to make more pens for other pheasants i wanted to raise. Another thing to think about is landscaping. Small trees, shrubs, grasses, large smooth rocks, perches, hiding places, and shealter from bad weather.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    Agree with both of the above. While colony breeding is feasible it's definitely not for the beginner and unless you're heavy into the hobby and selling birds it's not the most practical. With pheasants only the ringnecks and red goldens appear in non-wild colorations. The red goldens have several mutations but stay far away from anyone who is trying to sell you a "rainbow pheasant" it's a hybrid and hybridization is a major taboo in the pheasant world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by