Can you really make a money selling eggs and chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickengirl1304, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Chickengirl1304

Chickengirl1304 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    California
    I have 6 different breeds and it equals 40 chickens. was wondering if after feed costs I an actually make money? What's your experiences?

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

it is possible, but you have to sell a ton of chicks and eggs, and you will probably not make that much. but you can try!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  3. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    Ya A LOT!! :)

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    It takes a LOT of hatching and selling eggs....also if you are like me and refuse to cut a lot of corners, it will effect profits as well.
    Not to mention, it is a lot of work keeping up with all the chicks and brooders!
    BUT....it's fun trying! And you won't know til you do!
    Happy hatching [​IMG]

5. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    well, as most of us do it for the eggs to eat, and the fun of just having them, (even though it alot of work) lol i plan on selling some eggs and ducklings as i allready have 14 ducks. hopeing to pay off some of the feed cost but i can't think that i will strike it rich lol good luck and have fun with tem

6. Chickengirl1304

May 5, 2012
    California
    Ya I have mine as a hobby and do the eggs. I love our chickens! I just was kinda looking to see how othe ppl do with feed costs and egg sales :)

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    It depends on your area and what prices you can get. Here I can get $4.00 each for a mixed barnyard chick, $6-$8.00 for mixed ducklings, $8.00 each for rare colored Guinea Keets, and so on and so forth.

Start incubating some eggs and list the hatchlings on your local Craigslist or here on BYC. Look around and see what other people are getting for chicks/ducklings in your area. Even if you can only sell your chicks for $2.00 each, that's still better than nothing. Good luck!

~ Aspen

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  8. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    We have a mixed flock so I don't expect to sell chicks but I do sell eggs to people we know just to offset feed cost as well as to get rid of them. 17 girls laying regulary adds up to more eggs than a family of 4 can eat! We did a hatch this spring and sold off chicks (esp. roos) that were more than we needed and made a bit of money but I am sure it certainly did not pay for the raising cost. But it was fun.

I believe you would really have to be dedicated to make a profit but doing it for fun, you might pay for your feed cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by