Can you recommend a gas range?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflowerenvy, Nov 14, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    we are moving into our new home. it has an electric glass cooking top with a wall stove.
    we has natural gas pipe on the road in front of the house and it has a gas fireplace.
    we are having problems trying to find a gas stove for us all of what we seem has an
    Electronic Ignition which would need electric to start the burner or stove. so when the power go out u still cannot used the stoves rats.

what kind of gas stove does members have and would they recommend them?
    thank u for taking your time

2. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    The clickers on my gas stove dont work so we use matches to light the stove top [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I have a GE Spectra that works great. It has the electric igniters on it, and while the oven can not be used when the power is out I can use the burners. I have to light the burners with a match when the power is out, but that isn't that big of a deal. I have to say that I am not a fan of GE appliances. I have had to replace all of them except for the range. I have as feeling that it will never die on me out of spite. The range is about 14 or 15 years old now, and the biggest gripe I have is that I can't seem to get the burner grates clean.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have an amana that came with the house.Always had issues with the starter so I just use a lighter(long one) to get things going on the stove. Not a huge deal but I am looking for a new onc because the knob for the oven temps is off,so I have to guess at the temps.

I have used oven cleaner spray to clean the metal on my stove.Take them all out to the drive and spray a few times.

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hi I can not say one brand or another specifically.... But I can share an opinion. We have purchased at least 5 gas ranges over the years. Moving around from place to place.

#1. Gas is great! Power is out you can still cook! Control the heat instantly not having to wait like electric! on and on.

#2 Get one that at least has black grates. (We had one with grey once and we could never keep them clean.) We like a black top too.

#3. Get one with different size burners... We love our one large size "power burner" We can make Chinese better than restaurants with the big hot burner.

#4. Double ovens are nice if you can afford it. We love our little top oven just perfect for a pizza, or garlic bread.

ON

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well I can recommend is the Viking.........heard it is wonderful but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have used the same furniture/appliance store for about 35 years because they are local and I can get good service when I need it. I don't always buy my furniture there, but I do always buy appliances there. Their prices are pretty well competitive, and if I need service, I can get it. You won't know for use whether you are buying a brand that will have problems until you use it for a while. Just because a Kenmore or Amana or whatever was a dependable product last year doesn't mean it will be this year.

I also feel it is well worth it to pay the $20 a year needed to get detailed analyses from Consumer's Reports. It's surprising how often they come in handy, everything from toasters to tires.

That said, if the new home has a working stove and oven, I would not replace them until needed. The gas isn't going away and you might find you like the ease of leaning of an electric. I wish I had a cooktop, having cooked on gas most of my adult life, and I do a lot of cooking.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  8. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Quote:Sounds like you have the same as us. Twin oven with a gas top, 5 burners. Fits in the same space as a regular oven. Ours is a Jenn Aire. Made by Maytag. Bought it on sale at HD for 1200.00.

9. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Sounds like you have the same as us. Twin oven with a gas top, 5 burners. Fits in the same space as a regular oven. Ours is a Jenn Aire. Made by Maytag. Bought it on sale at HD for 1200.00.

[​IMG]
    Bingo!
    That is our most current and our personal fav so far... It is rare we go out to eat, maybe only a couple times a year. We love to cook at home...

So great minds that think alike also cook on the same stove....[​IMG]

ON

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  10. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    We have a Viking 6 burner stove. We have had it for about 10 years or so. Cooks great and my only complaint is that the black writing along the front has worn off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by