Can You Remove Spurs ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by woolychicken, Jul 18, 2010.

1. woolychicken

woolychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    I HAVE A WONDERFUL OLD ROOSTER ABOUT 3 OR 5 YEARS OF AGE. HE IS VERY SWEET BUT WORKS OVER TIME ON SOME OF MY HENS AND THEY LOOK IT. I HAVE BEEN PUTTING APRONS ON THEM. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO REMOVE THE SPURES I HAVE CUT AND FILED THEM DOWN. I ONCE HEARD THAT YOU CAN USE A HALF BAKED POTATOE, AND THEM TWIST THEM OFF. HAS ANY EVER DONE THAT ?? AND DID IT WORK [​IMG] I WOULD HATE TO HARM HIM IN ANY WAY.

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I've never cut the spurs on my roo. I would like to but I heard they bleed for a long time and it's not something that should be done. I would like to know more too.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yes, that's what I do, twist them off. But, what is the potato for? Put the roo under your arm, legs facing forward. FIRMLY hold his leg around the spur. grab the spur with pliers & twist. It will pop off & leave a spur nub so another will grow back. I usually do my roos every other year. If you do it right there will be no bleeding, & it won't bother the roo. It's very easy. Happy De-spurring

4. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    We did ours this summer because his spurs were so long he was tripping up on them.

We baked the potato because I guess, it helps to loosen the spur up a little bit.

You can look up videos on youtube which is what we did to get our nerve up. Our roo didn't act like he was in any discomfort at all.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I wouldn't pull them, They're a main defence against predators. It's like declawing a cat and then expecting it to catch mice. I would trim them down a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by