Can you rent farmland?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cnjtnt, Dec 29, 2009.

1. cnjtnt

cnjtnt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    I'm currently reading "Hobby Farming for Dummies" and the author seems to suggest that you can lease farmland. She references agriseek.com, but I did not find it particularly helpful in finding that kind of information. Anyone know how to find some farm leasing opportunities in the local area?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm not sure how they go about it- other than approaching local farmers- but lots of people rent land here. Most of them use it for hay or hunting. It's usually really cheap too. You might get lucky and find someone willing to sell off a few acres at a decent price before the market really picks up.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    In SA you can lease land but the farmer must offer the land for least.

4. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Are you looking for just land or a place to live? Either way you should be able to find them listed through a Realtor.

I Googled: rent farm washington and got back several hits.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We lease in the neighborhood of 65 acres to a neighboring farmer, but only for hay cutting and his cows to graze on.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think the whole lease thing works pretty much the same way throughout the country, find a land owner who is willing to lease their land. Depending on what you want to do with it will detirmine lease prices and any use stipulations. Now for the reality of it, leasing land is a close knit good ole boy kinda thing and as a hobby farmer you may only get a sideways glance from these old men if you are even able to find one. they are more secretive than the Knights Templar LOL, plus lease agreements normally are for larger acreges use just for rotating seasonal crops or grazing patureland. And there will be strict limits on any permanant/semi permanant changes to anything on the property. As a hobby farmer Whatever that really means this may be too much of an undertaking for weekend farmers. A way you may have better luck with it is to lease some land under gov't control, but the ole boy's also have that sewed up as well.

AL

7. TheCoopers

TheCoopers si amoureux

Sep 16, 2009
    Lexington,SC
    Contact local feed mills, DNR in your area etc.. You should not have any problems finding land to rent whether its for garden,farming,hunting & fishing and so on.
    Good Luck
    edit: Also keep in mind the person renting is usually the one paying for the fertilizers/soil samples,upkeep like weed control,bush hogging and so forth.Although you may be able to get a sweet deal,you never know.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I've also recently read of some programs, mainly in the midwest, of apprenticing to a farmer. Many people are leaving farming, and for former city people looking for a change, some people are setting these up. Basically, you and your family live with the farmer, work for him and learn the trade, then you go off and buy your land and a new farmer is born.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by