Can you return a chick to its mother after seperating it for two days?

jcon1123

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2020
My hen just brooded a clutch of ten, and one of them has sprayed legs. I've made the braces and all but I'm wondering if the mother would reject her after two days of being separated once the chick has its legs corrected. anybody have experience with re-introducing separated chicks to their mothers after a long period of time? I don't have a problem with raising it myself but that would create problems in the flock order that might not be good. I've noticed that in older chickens, they flock will bully a hen that's been gone for a while. But what about mothers and their chicks?

also, is there any way I could leave the recovering chick with its mother to avoid all of this? to me it seems like a bad idea with all the stomping around going on underneath her.

lmk if this is the best category for this kind of question too btw, new to this site.

It depends upon the hen. Some more willingly accept chicks. Others imprint on their chicks in the first day or so and reject or attack all others.
TY I'll see how it goes then, this is the mother. I have no clue what breed she is closest to.

Attachments

• IMG_20211108_114213_3.jpg
    IMG_20211108_114213_3.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211108_114116_3.jpg
    IMG_20211108_114116_3.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom