1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you send blood in to be checked for Mereks disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoCalChkn1023, May 4, 2016.

1. SoCalChkn1023

SoCalChkn1023 New Egg

May 4, 2016
    I have a 13 week old pullet that isn't acting normal. She walks on her "forearms" instead of her feet. She's eating, drinking and wanting to forage like a normal pullet would...she can even fly a little.
    I would like to send her blood out to do a panel and see what's going on.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may be suffering from a riboflavin (vitaminB2) deficiency. That can cause walking on the hocks and curling under of toes. Poultry vitamins (most brands) contain riboflavin. Yes, there is a Mareks PCR test available from several poultry labs including Texas A&M. It costs around $30 according to their website. However, you would need a vet or someone locally to draw the blood, and place it in the right type of lab tube, plus shipping. I would call them to inquire about the specifics. There are ever changing Mareks virus strains, so there could be false negatives.

3. SoCalChkn1023

SoCalChkn1023 New Egg

May 4, 2016
    Thank you so much! I'm going to check out UC Davis since it's somewhat local to me. I have her on Chick Boost vitamins and probiotics and popped a E capsule in the water as well. I should go and pick up some B in the meantime.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your chick boost vitamin might already contain the riboflavin (B2) and E, so just check the label.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  5. dpzirkelbach

dpzirkelbach New Egg

May 4, 2016
    Pleasant Hill, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by