Can you separate chicks from mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walker1229, Apr 23, 2016.

1. walker1229

walker1229 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    My Coop
    We have our first broody hatching chicks in a couple weeks i am wondering if we can take the chicks after they have hatched maybe leave her one or two raise? Were hoping if we take them we can hold them and get them used to being handled we have bought chicks twice before the first ones we got we held all the time and now as adults love being held the second batch we didnt hold as much and now they wont let us near them so i am worried if i leave them with mom we cant hold them as much...

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes you can remove them from mom after they hatch and put them in a brooder, she is only really there for protection and heat after hatch the same as a brooder box....

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You can raise the chicks yourself, but then you will have to deal with integrating them into the flock without a momma to protect them later on. You can still have friendly chicks that are raised by hens, if you spend enough time with them.

1 person likes this.
  4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    x's 2. The main thing is to spend that time. You could have flighty and unfriendly chicks even if you hand raise them if you don't teach them to want to be with you.

5. walker1229

walker1229 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    My Coop
    Will the mom let us near them? I was thinking since she tries to bite my hand off any time i get near her (not normal for her when not broody) that she might be the same when they are chicks

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She won't like you (or anything) near her space at the moment. That's just her being a normal, good broody. Just start by sitting near her and the chicks. Don't try to grab them. Just be near them.

1 person likes this.
  7. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Become the treat feeder! LOL!! The bold ones will lead the way in hopping up on you if you sit with the treats and slowly bring the food closer to you with each visit.

1 person likes this.
  8. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If the Mum usually sees you as the bringer of tasty treats then leave them with her as she will teach them you mean good things. Our girls were a bit protective of their babies until the chicks were up and about (maybe 48 hours after they all hatched) then they chilled out and we could hold them anytime. It's gorgeous watching the interactions between Mum and babies as well. Having brooded chicks myself and letting my broodies do it I'd leave it to the mother hen any day. They teach them so much right from the start and you get all of the fun and none of the responsibility.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by