Can you sex baby ducks if yes how????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Charlotte, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello guys,

I am getting baby ducks! But the farmer says she does not sex them is there anyway you can??? Also yesterday we have to coldest day in QLD since 1996 and boy was it cold I will have to keep ducky in side on my lap in front of the heater haha I am looking forward to that! (I don't think me parents will though)

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    According to the breeder my friend got hers from, female ducks quack but males don't [​IMG]

3. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    I heard Vent Sexing

And it easier when they get abit older

Male has a tip of black on his beak and female has full black on her beak
    And males Have 2 curly tail feather [​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Charlotte one duck on its own is going to be so very lonely. In this kind of weather its really better to have at least two so they can help to keep each other warm and are company for each other. When advertising my babies- I always stipulate that I dont sell singles just because I know that a single duck will get lonely as an adult as well. A hand raised male can also at tomes turn nasty, or it may try to mate with your chickens- which can lead to serious injury. Raising ducks can be great fun- but I am just trying to warn you of some of the issues you may have if you only get one.

5. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Yea our plan was if we get 1 we will get 2, and the mating thing my chicken cage is about 1 km away from there cage and we thought if its a boy we will probably sell it [​IMG] I don't think I will alow that ha ha [​IMG]

Thanks for the duckvise! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by