Can you sex chicks based on behavior?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dancingmama, May 28, 2010.

1. dancingmama

dancingmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I have 5 chicks, probably 2 weeks old. My white EE is decidedly different than the others! (2EEs, BO, Barred Rock, Australorp) It doesn't like to be held -- tries to run away and then chirps it's head off while I'm holding it (occasionally calms down for a minute). And once when I took the other chicks out for an outdoor venture and then came back for the EE, the sweet little thing was going CRAZY without the others there! I've never heard it chirp so loud. Also tends to be one of the first to investigate something new. I never knew they'd all have such personalities! My little Buff Orpington is so mellow she's like a cuddle toy!

2. wyo-helpmeet

wyo-helpmeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    West TN
    EE's can be fairly standoffish. Much of their personality is based on their breed, then some from how they're raised. I have 3 EE's, 1 is VERY standoffish, 1 is fairly standoffish & the 3rd is sometimes standoffish, until you get a hold of her & then she's the calmest one I have.

3. dancingmama

dancingmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Ann Arbor, MI
    So your experience with EE's is that they tend to be more standoff-ish? It seems like there are some who think the opposite. Hmm. All I know is that my brown one is very peaceful, and the white one is not [​IMG]. Thanks for your input, it's helpful!

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    My EE is very friendly and investigative. My standoffish one is my "eye candy" BLRW chick! They are almost 6 weeks old now and the BR is always the first to greet me and acts like a puppy! The EE and both SS are practically as goofy/friendly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by