Can you sex chicks by comb appearance?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Apr 11, 2008.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    We've had our chicks for a week now, and my gosh have they grown so much already! (they are a little over two weeks old now). I was only told they are a "mixed light variety" so I really don't know breed wise.... I do know we will be thining down our number (we currently have 15) once we know how many males vs. females we have. I have homes waiting for some roosters once I know who is who.

I am noticing that some of the chicks, their combs are much larger and darker in color now. Those I'm wondering if female have smaller combs of a tan color, those with the larger combs are darker, more reddish, perhaps. Is this a possible way to tell? Maybe I'm just seeing things. I have just taken some photos of the chicks, and have a photo here that shows two of them, one on the left with the smaller, lighter comb, and on the right, the darker, and bit larger comb. Would this be a difference in determining sex, or is it too soon? Unfortunately my photo, probably due to the heat lamp lighting, doesn't show the difference in color very well.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this! (not even sure how to post a photo, but I'll try!)
    Angie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fun monitor

fun monitor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    southern california
    I'm wondering the same thing, although I don't have as many as you do and mine are different breeds. It looks like in your flock the larger combs will be roosters, but that's my totally unprofessional guess. [​IMG]

3. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hey dont worry its hard to sex chicks. You have a few roosters I counted at least five. The hens would probably not have their conbs yet and they wouldnt be that big. Have a great timt with your chicks.[​IMG]

4. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    If it is the case that the ones with the larger combs are roosters, I have 6 roosters out of 15. I guess it seems logical, since when they grow up they have larger combs, but I didn't know if it would be that way as young as two weeks of age. Speedabug, how do you know? Is it the comb size?
    Thanks for looking!

Angie

5. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    i have two chicks and iwas wondering i doint know the gender either but they both are starting to grow combs..hens have them to? one had it more distinctly but its like the same thing growing on them but one is more noticeable how am i to tell?

6. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Your welcome Grullablue, I tell by the comb size most breeds start to develop their combs at two weeks of age. The roosters are always bigger than the hens.

7. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    my chicks look like the pictures u have but not as significant?boy or girl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by