1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you sex EE chicks by the marking on their head?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sonew123, Jan 3, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    This is the first time Ill be hatching out EE chicks. I thought I read somewhere you can sex them at hatch time by the marking on their heads? something to do with the triagle of brown and black being in a very uniform shape for one sex and if its a scattered formation in the "line" another sex? anyone have pictures to clear this up for me?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think you're thinking of Welsummers. I have the hardest time with pea-combed chicks [​IMG]

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I dont know why I have this stuck in my head but I remember that there is a distinct v shape to the females and the males have that shape but more scewed? Maybe I am thinking of something else but its really bothering me because I have 12 EE's in bator and would love to know what I got at hatch time:)

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's how you sex welsummers, by the V on their head. Also their eyeliner.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Thats right! the eyeliner! I guess it doesnt help me with EE's then? Bummer I guess Ill have to wait the long haul sexing these gusy then:-( thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by