Can you sex Marans by feathering?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fatcatx, Jun 17, 2016.

1. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

We are new to Marans and hatched some Wheatens. Feathers are coming in very different in the group which I assume may be male vs female. Some have well feathered wings and the beginnings of a tail. The others have stubby wings and no tail yet. Does anyone know which if these are probably pullets?

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like the top baby is a cockerel, and bottom is a pullet.

~Alex

3. fatcatx

So is this feathering difference typical with a lot of breeds? Are the slower developing ones always the cockerels?
    Normally we just get pullets so we rarely get the chance to compare the differences as a chick.

4. fatcatx

After doing some more searching on the threads, I'm more stumped than I was before. The general rule for large fowl (according to other threads) is tails + feathers = pullets. However I found a Buff Orp thread where the opposite was true with helpful pictures. We had a Buff Orp several years ago that turned out to be a cockerel and it matched their pictures.

Does anyone raise Maran that can confirm which it is?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There's nothing particular for Marans related to feather sexing.

In general, with chickens, cockerels feather slower than pullets. But that's by no means 100%, and I would never cull a bird or sell a bird as sexed based on that.

With Wheatens, you'll have the advantage of the different colors as they feather in. Males will be darker with the black breast, females lighter with the brown breast.

6. fatcatx

Thank you for the help. I had hoped we could get a better idea of sex to speed up selling the ones we didn't want and choosing our "favorite" to make room in the brooder but it sounds like we need to be a little more patient. I will keep an eye on the breast feathers.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm in kind of the same boat with my BCMs I've just resigned myself to keeping them all until around 3 months, making my first cull at that point. Next cull will probably not be until they're laying, when I can assess egg color as well as shape, leg feathering, comb, etc.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sometimes that is all you can do- unless you have a crystal ball

9. fatcatx

I confess i am feeling more than a little stupid. These were "bonus eggs" that were offerred when we picked up some other hatching eggs. I had no idea the roo was a completely different color until I was told above :th. Lesson learned to do a little more investigating! I'll know better next time.:D

Armed with the proper information now, looks like we got 4 pullets and 2 roos. The four clearly do not have any black in their wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by