Can you sex my silkie chicks? (Videos Added)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Teresaann24, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    i have a few pics i can take more if needed im just not sure of sex of these chicks can you help me i also have some videos if that may help

hen or roo? 10weeks old. iv been thinking hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hen or roo? iv been thinking hen
    [​IMG]

hen or roo iv been thinking roo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    my silkies were very easy to sex (in hindsight) I had 8 (fox got four) Four of them had cotton ball tails, four had feathery, longer tails. I noticed this from just a few weeks old. As they developed the four with the feathery tails got pronounced wattles, and just began to crow. mine were born may 11th. hope this helps. I agree that the first white looks like a hen, too hard to see the other two.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    ill try to download the videos i have.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Your video won't come up. From the pics, I'd say the two whites are cockerels and the black is a pullet.

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Really? cuz the first white one has no comb whatsoever but the last white one has a very showing one and its big.

7. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The shape and size of the crest looks more like a male. Sometimes they comb will develop early and it can be easy to tell, but sometimes it can take a while.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:he does resemble my male/chicks dad. What do you think of the greys in the videos? None of them have the large is it right what im saying comb? On there face like the one white chick.

9. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The whites definately look like cockerels, and the black like a pullet.

The greys look like pullets, the video quality isn't good enough (or long enough) to get a good look at them. Do you have pics of them?

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Thats all I have for now but I will get some more tomorrow and try to get some better pictures. My chicks don't seem to like the camera..LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by