Can you sex this Dominique

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Amador Hill Hens, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Amador Hill Hens

Amador Hill Hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    North Branch, MN
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    My guess would be roo, based on the erect posture and the lack of feathers on the bow of the wing. Roos are also the last to develop feathers along the spine.

Feel the bottom of the legs to see if spur buds are there. If so, it's a roo.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Roo is my guess

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The color looks like a male, post a new side profile pic in 2 or 3 days to be sure.

5. Amador Hill Hens

Amador Hill Hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    North Branch, MN
    Thanks everyone. That is my guess as well based on leg color. He does have feathers at the top of his wings like my other hen chicks. They arrived the 23rd from McMurray.

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I am not basing it on the leg color, although darker legs are more common in females and lighter in males, both sexes can have either. The male's barring will come in lighter than a female's.

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Actually, both sexes have that little bump. Roos do not get spurs till they are well over six months old.

It's a cockerel due to the lighter, more silvery color and big irregular headspot.

Didn't we do this same chick before? I could swear I posted my opinion on this one awhile back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by