Can you sex this Rhode Island Red cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickensNRats, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ChickensNRats

ChickensNRats New Egg

May 5, 2013
    Hello! This year we had a hen go broody so we decided to let her hatch some eggs. Only one hatched and we got this (hopefully a girl).

So, cockerel or pullet?
    And also what other bed is she crossed with? The father is a huge RIR, the mother could be a Golden Wyandotte, Light Brahma, Black Rock, Silver Wyandotte, or a Golden Comet. :p What do you think? :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickensNRats

ChickensNRats New Egg

May 5, 2013
    Breed, sorry. And she is 3 months old in this picture (it's current).

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have a cockerel. Based off the overall characteristics, I'd guess that the mother was either the Black Rock or the Red Sex-Link, as the other breeds have different comb types.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Definitely a cockerel. And I'm guessing that his mother was either the Red Sex-link or the Black Rock.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

6. ChickensNRats

ChickensNRats New Egg

May 5, 2013
    The thing is (s)he doesn't have feathers that look like a roosters, and something scared him/her the other day and she crouched like a hen will...

7. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    At 3 months the rooster feathers should barely be coming in, and I can see some coming in, in the picture. The large comb is also a rooster sign, along with the thick legs. I would lean towards the red sex link being the mom over the black rock, but both are possible.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  8. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, that is definitely a boy. He already has hackle and clearly defined sickle feathers and a large comb/waddles. He would have to be out of the black rock, as male offspring of any of the others would have some white on them (comet, brahma, silver-laced), even out of the gold-laced would produce some variation in the feathers, plus pea/rose combs are dominant so out of the wyandottes would have their little combs.

9. ChickensNRats

ChickensNRats New Egg

May 5, 2013
    This baby has white tips on his wings but not a lot.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Definitely a cockerel. He's just a baby, don't be expecting him to act like a big boy yet. That's too much comb for a pullet that age. You can also see sex feathers coming in on the hackles and saddle, and the darker shading on the wing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by