Can you show a black star

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by needmoresilkies, Feb 28, 2012.

1. needmoresilkies

needmoresilkies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Columbus Ohio
    Hey everybody! I have a very handsome black star roo and I was wondering if I could show him. Please tell me what you think.

2. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    Black Stars are hybrid crosses and not a breed. So I'd assume that you couldn't show him. Maybe there are pet chicken shows based on beauty and temperament rather than APA or ABA standards? I'm not sure.

I have a black star hen and I love her, she 'talks' to me every day. Also beautiful with her shiny green, black & gold feathers, plus great egg layer! She seems more intelligent than some of our others.

3. needmoresilkies

needmoresilkies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Columbus Ohio
    ok. Thanks, that really helps me a lot because I was going to show him.[​IMG]

4. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    glad i could help but I'm sorry you can't show him. Everything else you have is a breed except the EE though. Of course breeders have better quality (as in closer to APA standards) than hatcheries so they are a better place to get birds for showing, if you got the others with the black star. But I think hatchery birds can win at county fairs.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If there is anyone in your family the right age to show in 4-H, the rooster could probably be shown in showmanship.

However, the regular classes are for purebreds.

If you have a show near you, go and observe. Maybe you can find a breed that really appeals to you and purchase a show bird of that breed. Showing poultry is a fun hobby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by