1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you show a heifer that is not a pure bred?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Charlotte, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hey guys,

The title says it all, I got a heifer and she is not pure bred, but the biggest calf I have EVER seen, so meaty and pretty to. If you want pictures let me know!

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    You will need to look at the rules where you are gonna be showing. Do they have a class for that?

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Most fairs do not care if you have a cross as long as you list them as a cross. Mixed breed cows are the bread and butter of the cattle industry!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Yay I can SHOW HER!

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Congratulations! You know how us BYC people love pictures! Good Luck at the show!

6. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Congratulations! You know how us BYC people love pictures! Good Luck at the show!

Well I will take some pictures today!! Well she wont be at the show she will just be in her paddock! Thankyou so much guys!​

7. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Most shows have a class called AOB. It stands for All Other Breeds. Cross bred heifers fall under this catagory, but you will still possibly need some sort of papers on her to prove her age if nothing else (at least here in Texas) as a breeding heifer. If you show her as a market heifer than no papers required, but you also will not likely be able to breed her until her show career is over.

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    yep! you can! io just finished showing my short/simmy heifer at the fair! i thought she was a shorthorn plus but her dad was a SIMMENTAL!!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Since you're in Australia you probably should check with the show you want to show at to see what their regulations are.

10. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Well I will take some pictures today!! Well she wont be at the show she will just be in her paddock! Thankyou so much guys!

I meant like she wont be at the show when I take pictures [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by