Can you show me pictures of your bantam cochins?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bkreugar, Jul 22, 2011.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    I have (2) 10 week old white bantam cochins and they both look the same. Both have tiny little combs and tiny little waddles. I HAVE a black cochin roo and he started crowing early. No crows from either one of these guys so I am hoping for hens of course. Would be GREAT if you guys could show me pics of your immature cochins and sex if you know it.
    TIA

2. camchick

camchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    [​IMG] hen on left, roo on right. hope this helps, but not a great pic. Mine are now 16wks but you can roughly sex them from about 8wks. In my experience, if the comb is quite small and not a very deep colour then they tend to be hens. Hens also tend to be smaller, feather at an earlier age and feather evenly all over. Also, a hens head is rounder. Someone told me if the tail is long at an early age it tends to be a hen. Hens also tend to carry themselves lower and less proud. Hope this helps out

3. bkreugar

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Thank you Both my white ones (8 weeks) have a MUCH smaller comb then your guys and from what you say all leads me to think HENs.

Thank you. My DD13 swears our black cochin roo was crowing by 8 weeks. I think that was too early. But he DID crow before he was even half grown so, she says they are both hens.

I will say my black cochin roo is VERY VERY sweet and docile. Is yours?

4. bkreugar

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Are yours splash? Thats what mine were SUPPOSED to be. But so far just white.

5. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    My roos is fairly placid but a bit protective of his house! He started crowing at around 10wks and sounded like a squeeky door. I forgot to say his wattles are a lot larger too

6. camchick

Jul 22, 2011
    They are mottled lavender but the white mottling didn't shiw until a few weeks ago so they would have been about 14 wks. You will know if you keep an eye on the neck hackles, that's where the colour started changing on mine but it does take a bit of time and you need good eyes!

7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Here are mine:

Pullet
    [​IMG]

Pullet
    [​IMG]

Pullet, we're pretty sure
    [​IMG]

Cockerel