can you show with spurs removed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sunket77, Jan 10, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    This might be a dumb question but, I haven't thought about it until now. I recently bought at auction an older rooster. I am still not sure what his temperament is, he is a bantam spangled hamburg. And he has the longest spurs on a roo I have ever owned. I am worried if he starts to attack me or one of the kids he could really do some damage. But since we would like to show him. (I am not 100% he is show quality or not yet, we are new to the breed) I don't want to take his spurs off if that will disqualify him. Although, if he turns out to be a problem the spurs have to go anyway if he is to be kept for breeding. Thanks in advance for responses!

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you will need to check with the show you are planing on going to, but in most cases you need to have them, but if you twist them off all your doing is shorting them not completely removing them

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Yep twist them off well before the show. There might be a tiny bit of blood but not to much.

Henry

4. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    That's what I was hoping thanks! Last time I removed spurs I used a hot potato and they twisted right off very easy! Thanks again : )

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    To me that is very much altering the bird's appearance. It will allow you to make the bird look younger. I wouldn't do it unless you're wanting the edge in the cockerel class. But, I've seen and heard of others doing worse things.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Honestly if your rooster is already aggressive, just get rid of him. It is genetic and no one wants to think their show quality stock has aggression in it. . .

If your rooster is not aggressive, there is absolutely no need to cut or remove the spurs. [​IMG]

7. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:The reason for removing the spurs on a cock bird is it is a polite thing to do to keep the Judge from getting spurred. I cut mine with a dog nail popper at about 1" long and have a chaulk stick on hand in case of a little blood. Don

8. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:I did not know they would twist off ... I cut them off of my LF EE with a hacksaw when the spurs started to curl back into his leg. What does a hot potato do?

9. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:I did not know they would twist off ... I cut them off of my LF EE with a hacksaw when the spurs started to curl back into his leg. What does a hot potato do?

The main thing the hot potato does is make it so you can show a cock bird as a cockeral. After you take the potato off you can twist the spur hull off and it will heel up looking like a cockeral. Don

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    The only time I have seen it done was when the bird was old enough he wasn't going to be show he just needed to get the spur off because it was curling back toward the leg.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by