Can you spare a prayer or two for our dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gale65, Mar 3, 2012.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

She was hit by a car yesterday. DH found her (in the ditch next to the highway) and thought she was dead (and called me so you can only imagine the freaking out that ensued by me and the kids) but then realized she was still alive and rushed her to the vet. She must have gone over the invisible fence but in the 4.5 yrs we've had her, she's never done that so she must have been chasing something very tempting. She is VERY lucky. No broken bones but as of now, she can't stand up on her own. One leg is not cooperating.

She is at the vet still and will be over the weekend. We went yesterday and she did nothing but lay still. It was heartbreaking. She is a very active lab mix and I've never seen her sit that still for any amount of time. We went today and it was like night and day. She was happy, wagging her tail, eating and drinking, and moving about. Tried to get up a few times but can't do it yet. Her balance isn't working and she is still weak. She's on an IV also, so we had to keep her near it but she was having none of that-she kept scooting away. It was so hard to leave her there but she is in the best hands right now. I am just so scared that she'll take a turn for the worse-it's just my worrisome nature, I guess. If you pray, please say a quick prayer that she will get better and we'll be able to bring her home next week.

She was doing so well today the doctor said they might take her off the IV tomorrow but they still worry about internal bruising. She was apparently hit on the front part of her body and had some congestion in her lungs so we can't really know if there's damage in there. No broken ribs though, so that has to be a good sign right? So anyway here is a pic I took with my phone today at the vet. When we first got there they were helping her stand up and she was just so happy to see us.
    [​IMG]

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Should have added that her name is Daisy. I didn't want to try to edit my post since there's a picture in it. I wasn't sure if that would mess it up.

3. indi

indi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Good luck to Daisy and I hope she gets well soon!

4. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    My prayers go out to you [​IMG]

5. hope she gets better soon! heres a story im takig from memory that might give you hope

Once a pit bull ran from her owners yard, she was hit by a car, a police officer came, and said 'No way she can live, shes in too much pain' and he thought the best way to make her die painlessly from the pain she was in was shoot her. He shot her in the skull, and some one came and took her out in a like dog 'body bag'. they put her in a freezer (barely cold) and when a vet came to look ever the body, they opened the bag and.. she was STANDING UP, wagging her tail

hope that story cheers you up

i did it from memory, so it might sound weird XD

i hope daisy lives [​IMG] and doesnt lose a leg in the process

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    This is why I will never trust an invisible fence to do the job of a real fence. Don't get me wrong, they can be very useful in boundary training and helpful to keep dogs contained while they are supervised, but they can't be trusted with unsupervised dogs.

I'm glad to hear that Daisy is feeling better each time you visit her though! She is one lucky dog to come out of an encounter with a car with only bruising. I hope she continues to heal quickly and gets to come home soon.

7. i dont trust even a visible fence to hold or dogs... they jump too high...

*prayers for daisy*

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Look at those sad eyes! Prayers to speed her healing. I'd not worry about her not walking at this point. So long as her legs are moving and she's urinating and defecating she should be fine.

9. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Awwww.the poor girl. It was lucky that your husband spotted her. I'm suprised that she hasn't pulled that IV out.
    Praying for a speedy recovery for her! [​IMG]

10. gickelvolk

gickelvolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Nebraska
    Prayers for Ms. Daisy from our pack........[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by