can you splint day old chick's feet to straighten toes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by allquackedup, Dec 4, 2009.

1. allquackedup

allquackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Hello, we have (so far) 5 barred rock day old chicks. One of them is much smaller and has his toes (I guess that's what you call them) turned over so he hops around. He is spunky and seems to be fine in all other aspects but was wondering if I could cut a little peice of flat thin wood (like popsicle sticks) and tape to the underneath of his feet. Will that force the toes to turn out and flatten like they shoud be or would they just flop back under after we took them off? Would this be harmful to the lil chick in any way? This is the first one we've had hatch with issues so..... we were just hoping someone else had been through this and knew what to do. Is there any chance the toes will correct themselves on there own? Thanks for any suggestions!!![​IMG]

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    this is a link to shoes for peachicks, but will work for all. I have used the cardboard for the first two days that works also, no harm and they have perfect toes now.....

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  3. allquackedup

allquackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Wow That was fast! I love BYC ! Thanks I will go to walmart today and get the supplies ! I appreciate the link. Thanks, Have a great day. I will let you know how it works out.[​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    This guy had splayed legs and crooked toes. He came out just fine after a few days wearing his orthopedic shoes and braces.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by